Before completing your application form, please carefully read all of these notes. Please note, applications have now closed and will reopen in December 2019.
**Applications will not be considered after this deadline**
Prospect Burma will assess applications to define a shortlist of candidates by 30 April 2019. Short listed candidates will be invited for interview at our Yangon office in May 2019 and will be informed of the outcome of their interview by the 2nd week of June 2019. If you are selected to receive a scholarship you will be notified via email. Please note, Prospect Burma only provides partial scholarships.
It is recommended that you submit your application before the deadline to avoid any last minute technical problems. Please note, the office closes at 5pm.
The awarding of Prospect Burma scholarships is highly competitive and incomplete or badly completed applications are likely to be rejected immediately. Please read the forms and consider the deadline very carefully.
Number of scholarship recipients
Prospect Burma provides around 80 to 90 scholarship awards each year – this includes both new students and continuing students.
In order to be eligible for a PB scholarship, students MUST:
- Be originally from Myanmar; priority will be given to students who are currently resident in and applying from Myanmar
- Be in the process of enrolling or have acceptance for, and / or enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree / a Master’s degree / A Ph.D at an accredited college or university, in any country but especially those in South East Asia and Hong Kong. Prospect Burma will ask for a copy of the acceptance letter from the University only for shortlisted candidates.
- Find and obtain the necessary health insurance for their studies.
Prospect Burma is looking for students who:
- Have a strong academic record and performance
- Have a strong desire to pursue higher education
- Come from underprivileged families and/or can demonstrate financial need
- Have a vision for their contribution to Myanmar’s democratic development and are committed to returning to Myanmar after graduation
Field of study
Working with stakeholders, Prospect Burma has identified the following subjects (shown in the table below), which are an important part of Myanmar’s democratic development. We encourage students in these academic fields to apply for a Prospect Burma scholarship. Any other subjects will be considered at Prospect Burma’s discretion but are likely to be rejected.
PRIORITY SUBJECT AREAS
• Information and digital technology / computer science
• Environmental engineering, geosciences, and mineral / mine surveying
• Conflict / peace studies
• Ecology, environmental and sustainability studies; maritime conservation
• MBA, finance and accounting
• International law, maritime law
• Special needs education
• Communications / journalism
• Human resource management
• Tourism and hospitality management
• Public administration and governance
• Social science, politics and international relations
• Nursing, pharmacy and public health
Awards are for one year only and students must apply again for every subsequent year of their studies. Awards can cover the costs associated with tuition fees, academic course materials and living expenses including accommodation and food. Please note the average Prospect Burma award in 2018-19 was around £4,000.
A Prospect Burma scholarship will not cover:
- Expenses for the scholar’s family
- Additional travel during the course of the study programme
- Expenses related field trips, participation in workshops/seminars or internships which are not contributing to degree credit.
Students are required to obtain health insurance or other suitable arrangements to cover medical/dental/optical costs. We like to see evidence of match funding through fee waivers, the student’s own personal saving, other scholarships and so on. We take each application on its individual merits.
In 2019 we will not accept:
- Applications to study for an undergraduate degree in countries with high living costs, e.g for universities in North America, the UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan or Korea, UNLESS a substantial tuition fee waiver has been offered by the University;
- Applications to study on any distance learning / correspondence course;
- Applications to do an immediate follow-on course
- Please carefully read the notes and be sure that you are eligible before completing and submitting an application.
- Familiarise yourself with the 2019-20 selection process, including dates and deadlines for each stage. The timeline can be found below.
- Reach out to two (2) academic and/ or professional contacts to confirm their willingness to provide you with a recommendation quite early in the process of application.
- Use the Supporting Documents Checklist (below) to ensure that you have collected all required supporting documents and they are ready to submit.
- Ensure that you are in the process of applying to or have been accepted by a University for undergraduate or a Master’s degree course.
How to complete the form
Please note, the deadline to submit applications was 5pm Myanmar time 31 January 2019 and applications are now closed. Applications received after this deadline will NOT be considered. The awarding of Prospect Burma scholarships is highly competitive, and incomplete or badly completed applications are likely to be rejected immediately. Please read each section on the form carefully before you submit.
- Once you have completed the first page of your application form and clicked on ‘Next’, you will see an Application Reference number in the top right hand corner of the form. Please make a note of this number, as it will enable you to retrieve your form should you experience internet problems prior to form submission – this step is very important, if you lose this number you will not be able to retrieve your form.
- Please complete each section of the form. When you click “next” the page you have just completed, and previous pages, will automatically save. You will not be able to move onto the next page unless you have completed all the required fields on that page.
- It is recommended that you complete your essay questions in a word document and paste the document into the online application form. This will ensure you do not lose your work if there is a power cut or you are timed out when completing the form.
- You will be able to save your application and return to it later until you click the submit button, but once you submit your application, you will not be able to edit it further.
- We have include help boxes for some questions; to access the hints, hover the mouse above the ‘?’ icon next to each questions (do not click.)
- If you have further questions before or after applying, please first consult the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). If you do not find answers there, you may email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your email. We will also be holding information sessions at our offices, please click here for dates and times.
- You are encouraged to submit your application as early as possible before the deadline. You will receive a new reference number when you have submitted your application. Please be sure to make a note of this.
- Once you submit your application, you will receive an automatic email from the server and will receive instructions for submitting necessary documents. Please note: Your application will only be considered once it has been submitted. By signing and submitting the online application form you are certifying that the information you have provided is true and complete to the best of your knowledge. Furthermore that you acknowledge that supplying incomplete or false information will result in Prospect Burma cancelling the scholarship and require repayment of all scholarship payment. If your circumstances change you must communicate with Prospect Burma immediately.
Supporting document checklist
- Copy of recent academic records – grade transcripts (high school and / or university, GED or equivalent certificates)
- Graduation certificates
- Two references: At least one must be an academic reference and the other form can also be academic, or professional. References from family or friends will not be accepted.
- We will ask for proof of acceptance onto your university course if you are shortlisted for interview
- Information of any other awards or grants you have been awarded – if you receive any other grants or awards you must include this information in your application and send a copy of any letter or agreement you have.
- English qualification details – a copy of your TOEFL or IELTS scores, or any other English qualification as recognised by your chosen university, as well as any additional information you feel supports your application
- A copy of the personal details page of your passport or travel document
Incomplete applications or applications missing documentation will not be considered. If you do not have any of the accompanying documentation you must inform us and let us know when you will have it. All required documents should be scanned and saved as a PDF. Please send your PDF accompanying documents via email to email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm 31 January 2019.
Back to Top
- November 2018 – The application system is live
- 31 January 2019 – Application deadline. Applications submitted after this time will NOT be eligible for funding
- 30 April 2019 – candidates shortlisted
- May 2019 – Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in the Yangon office.
- Mid June 2019 – Successful candidates will be notified via email.
- Back to Top
If you are successful in your application for a scholarship, then you will be notified via email, and will be required:
- To sign a grant letter
- To sign an agreement that you will return to Myanmar to help its development
- To attend an info session in Yangon
- To submit an annual report at the end of your academic year, sharing details of your year of study
- To submit a copy of any certificates and transcripts obtained upon graduation.
If a scholarship recipient fails to fulfil the above obligations, they may be liable to repay the money and will not be eligible for future awards. Decisions on awards are made by Prospect Burma’s scholarship committee and are final. Anyone submitting false documents, making untrue statements or failing to disclose all relevant information will NOT receive a grant this year, or in the future.
Please note: We do not inform unsuccessful applicants that they will not be receiving funding. If you have not heard from us by the end of June you application was not successful on this occasion.
Back to Top
Follow up and information sessions.
If you have any further questions which are not answered here or in the FAQs, please contact Shwe on email@example.com. Please note that our office is incredibly busy, and we will try our best to answer your query within 72 hours, however all of the information you need for your application should be found in the guidance notes and FAQs. Information sessions will be held in our Myanmar office every Tuesday at 3:00pm, starting on 27 November 2018 until the end of January 2019. Numbers are extremely limited, so if you would like to attend a session please contact Shwe as soon as possible, at least the week before the day you would like to attend.